Showing posts 1 - 5 of 49. View more »
About The Players
From the founding of the club in 1910 until construction of this Playhouse in 1925, the gentlemen of Players lead a gypsy-like existence. Each month they were forced to find another Detroit stage in order to put on their three one-act plays. Venues included the Detroit Athletic Club, the University Club and the Twentieth Century Club. Designed by Player member and architect William Kapp, the Historic Players' Playhouse was constructed of what were, in 1925, revolutionary materials, i.e., cinder blocks. Look closely; that’s what they are! The building includes an upstairs formal meeting room with fireplace, a small commercial kitchen, a professional four-story high stage, dressing rooms, a back-of-the-house, state-of-the-art tech booth from which all lighting and sound may be controlled, and an assortment of basement storage and prop rooms. The Playhouse is both a Federal and State of Michigan designated historic site. The old bed of Parent's Creek runs under the northeast corner of the Playhouse. Parent's Creek was the site of the battle known as "Bloody Run" during Chief Pontiac's "Uprising" of 1763.
The six auditorium wall murals depict a traveling troupe of troubadours. They were painted by famed artist Paul Honoré. The eight smaller banners represent skills and trades needed to stage a theatrical production. The external façade of the Playhouse is in Florentine Renaissance style. We welcome you to what has been described at the "world’s biggest tree house." It may be rented for weddings, receptions, anniversary parties, showers, seminars, corporate meetings and theatrical productions. For information, call 313-259-3385.
The Players is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization that has been designated as a 501(c)(3) organization by the IRS. Contributions to The Players may be made directly to The Players, to its Endowment Fund or to the newly organized "Friends of the Playhouse" program and are tax deductible as allowed by law. Any donations to help us preserve what is affectionately called the "Beautiful Lady" are greatly appreciated. Information may be obtained from and/or contributions may be made by contacting The Players at the contact information below.